Friday, March 16, 2018

Corned Beef & Kimchi Fried Rice – Just Like Your Irish-American-Korean Grandmother Used to Make

After too many requests to count, I’m finally posting my recipe for kimchi fried rice, and by “my recipe,” I mean everyone’s recipe, since give or take a handful of meat, they’re all pretty much the same. 

Having said that, I’ll give a shout out to the lovely and talented, Maanchi, since I checked her channel to make sure I wasn’t missing any key elements, as well as learn how to say, “gochujang.”

I’m not sure how close I got to the later, but except for the seaweed, I did get all the ingredients right. Of course, the diced corned beef is optional, but if you do have some leftover from your St. Patrick’s Day, I highly recommend you give it a try. Bacon is another fine choice, as is almost any other diced meat I can think of.

The egg is also technically optional, but not for me. The way the runny yolk mixes into, and moistens the rice takes this to a whole other level. The poached egg also paired quite nicely with my “landweed” garnish, as it does with the much more traditional shredded seaweed. But, no matter how you accessorize, I really hope you give this corned beef and kimchi fried rice a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 large portions:
1 generous cup chopped drained kimchi
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups diced corned beef or other meat
3 generous cooked rice, (I find cold works best for crustification)
1/4 cup kimchi juice
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons gochujang chili paste
1/2 cup sliced green onion
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons sesame oil, or to taste
2 poached or fried eggs
shredded seaweed to garnish, optional

9 comments:

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

YiKeS! There for a moment I thought that you were trying to pull an early April Fool's joke on us loyal subscribers with this concoction. I guess that's what happens when one views the video before reading the blog posting. In any event I think I'll take a pass on this here dish. Thanks anyways! You're still da' best!

Bigpow said...

This recipe is legit!
Chef John knows his kimchi fried rice, indeed.
Even down to the right Korean spoon.

Spam is often used in SK, so corned beef isn't too far off and makes a better substitute.
Landweed to substitute laver, that I'm not sure since I've never had any landweed.
Sometimes they'd add diced stems of yu choy or any other greens, just to add play to the texture.

You sounded very happy in this video, post St. Pat celebration dinner perhaps? :)

Looking forward to more videos, Chef.
Thank you!!!

FringeWalker said...

Looks good although I haven't made it yet. I just wanted to point out that traditionally made Kimchee isn't vegetarian since it contains tiny salted shrimp.

Beny said...

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day!

xoladiihoneyxo said...

Yummy! I should have made some for St. Patrick's Weekend.

roundabout said...

Thanks for another amazing recipe chef, I wanted to ask if I could use the meatless version to substitute the white rice in the bulgogi beef you showed us.

Unknown said...

Dear Chef John,

I’m Héctor Edo from Giant Mobile, a Spanish company leader in mobile entertainment and leisure portals. I would like to get in touch with you in order to schedule a phone call, here I live my email adress ( hector@giant-mob.com ) and my Skype ID ( hector.nrs ) where you can contact me and I will explain briefly a commercial agreement which I'm sure it will be really interesting for you.

Please contact me there and let's work together :) :)

Thank you in advance for your prompt response

Awaiting your reply,

All the best,
Hector

Unknown said...

Omg. Dude. It's Maangchi. Please fix.

Leslie said...

I have been wanting to make this recipe for the last year. It finally happened tonight. So delicious!
I included some of the beer braised carrots and red onion from last night's corned beef dinner and they added a little sweetness that was really nice.
Thanks for the recipe!